10 large carrots
1/2 bunch celery, leaves and all
2 inch piece of ginger
4 cloves garlic
2 curry or bay leaves
1 red onion
3 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp tamari or gluten free soy sauce
8 x cups broth
1 x can coconut milk
¼ cup fresh cilantro
2 cups garlicky spinach
1 tbsp coconut yogurt
Drizzle olive oil
1. Chop and prep your ginger, garlic and veggies - they can all be roughly cut, as we will be blending them later.
2. In a large crock pot, add 1 tbsp coconut oil let it melt, then add ginger, garlic, red onion and curry leaves. Lightly fry for 1 min to release the fragrance. Next add chopped carrots, celery and curry powder, lightly cooking about 5 mins.
3. Next add your broth of choice, make sure the veggies are covered with enough liquid. Bring it to the boil, then turn down the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20 mins or until veggies are soft. Once cooked, turn off the heat.
4. Using a high speed blender, carefully transfer your soup and veggies in batches and blend on high until extra smooth and creamy. Careful as your soul will be hot. Pour blended batches back into a new pot on the stove.
5. Heat on low, add in a can of coconut milk (make sure it is smooth and not hardened, you can use a blender to combine), tamari, black pepper and sea salt if needed. Slowly swirl and mix in the coconut milk, so it’s all well combined. Turn off from the heat and cover with a lid until ready to serve.
6. For the toppings, sauté spinach in olive oil and a little garlic.
7. To serve, pour creamy carrot soup into bowls, and then add your toppings - sautéed spinach, a spoonful of coconut yogurt, chilli flakes, cilantro leaves, drizzle of olive oil.
8. Voila, ENJOY! This soup will keep in the fridge for 3-5 days, and one month in freezer.