This is a great option if you're craving pasta with a rich decadent sauce, but don't want to have the gluten or dairy hangover. The sauce is completely vegan. I used almond milk and garlic paste to create a creamy consistency. And lots of fresh lemon juice + zest to bring in brightness. I love using spaghetti squash as an alternative to pasta. I used fresh green veggies like peas, zucchini and parsley for freshness. The halibut is cooked with rosemary to bring a herbaceousness to the fish and finished with a little more lemon zest. This is a yummy dish perfect for lunch or dinner, feels fancy but is actually super healthy!
3-4 x filets halibut
2 x tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp majestic garlic spread
4 x sprigs fresh rosemary
1 tbsp x lemon zest
1 x tsp maldon salt for each filet
pinch of balck pepper
Creamy lemon spaghetti squash with veggies
2 x zucchinis sliced in halfmoons
½ x cup fresh peas, blanched or frozen peas
4 x tbsp Lemon juice
2 x tbsp unsalted butter
½ cup almond milk
½ cup chicken or veggie broth
1 yellow onion, diced
Pinch of maldon salt
Pinch of black pepper
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 spaghetti squash
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and drizzle both with olive oil.
2. Slice off the top and bottom of your spaghetti squash, then in half long ways. Place the cut open side down on a baking sheet then place in the oven and set the timer for 30 minutes.
3. Wash and dry your vegetables and fish. To prep your veggies, slice the zucchini into half moons and blanch your peas then place in an ice water bath to keep them crunchy. If using frozen peas do not blanch just throw into sauce at the end. Dice your onions and start to saute’ in organic butter for the sauce. Once onions are translucent add in your garlic paste, salt and pepper.
4. Next add in your almond milk, broth, lemon juice + zest, and nutritional yeast into your sauce. Cook down over medium heat until desired consistency. Keep some zest for the top of your fish!
6. For the halibut, place your fish skin side down on parchment paper and drizzle with oil, salt, and pepper. Add your rosemary on top of the fish. Bake for 10 minutes then turn your oven to broil and keep the fish in there for 2-3 minutes.
7. While fish is in the oven, remove spaghetti squash from the oven, flip over, remove seeds with a spoon, and then scrape the skin with a fork to get the strings of spaghetti.
8. Throw your zucchini + peas into your sauce to cook, and remove fish from the oven.
8. To serve, get your serving large bowl ready, add the squash first, add then place your sauce all over the squash and top it off with your fish and fresh lemon zest. I love adding fresh herbs to my dishes like parsley + basil. Feel free to mix your squash with your sauce.
9. Serve immediately while still warm + delicious!