Eggplant, also known as meat for vegetarians in my house growing up. This delicious recipe is my take on a healthy plant based version of a hearty meat dish, like moussaka. The toasted pistachio crust combined with the creamy eggplant base, is such divine texture and melt in your mouth flavours. It’s delicious, nutritious and meat free.
2 eggplants, cut lengthwise
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
Pepper, to taste
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 packed cup fresh parsley leaves
1 cup pistachios
1 fresh lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1. Heat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Slice the eggplant in half lengthwise. With the tip of a knife, score the flesh deeply in a diamond cross-hatch pattern by making two or three long cuts, cutting at a steep angle, and then rotating the eggplant to make another set of similar cuts. Cover with salt, and set aside to sweat. After 15 minutes, rinse the eggplants and pat dry with paper towel. (You can skip this step if you’re short on time)
3. Arrange on the baking sheet, drizzle with some olive oil, season with salt and pepper and bake for 20 minutes or until beginning to brown and soft to touch. While the eggplant is baking, prepare the sauce.
4. First add the garlic to the food processor and finely mince. Add the remaining of the ingredients and pulse until chopped well. I like to have a mix of bigger and smaller pistachio pieces.
5. Remove eggplants from oven, using a spoon add the pistachio pesto on top, and pop back in the oven for around 5-10 mins, until golden.
To serve, arrange eggplants onto a dish and Enjoy!